Right now, some excellent logo designs are being submitted for the IceHL World's Division A teams. So while those keep rolling in, let's move on to selecting names for our Division B teams.
The following list should remind you of the four nations being represented and how you may consider to designate their locations when submitting your name ideas.
- United Kingdom: England, Scotland, London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast
- Australia: Queensland, New South Wales, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- Switzerland: Zurich, Geneva, Berne
- Greece: Athens, Crete
Name Submission Rules
The following guidelines will help this process go smoothly:
- Name nominations will be accepted in the comments area of this post.
- Suggest names for the 4 teams in Div. B (United Kingdom, Australia, Switzerland, Greece).
- Include a CITY and NICKNAME (ex.: Montreal Canadiens or New York Rangers). Stick to the larger cities in each country.
- Team names should be in English. Names in local languages may be considered but an English translation must be provided.
- Please enter only ONE team name per comment and a maximum of 3 nominations per user. (You may elaborate on your name idea within that comment.) Other users may then "vote up" your suggestion if they like it.
- Vote up names you like by clicking the "heart" button that appears in the upper right corner of the comment when your cursor hovers over it.
- AVOID DUPLICATES. Please read through what's been suggested before you post.
- If you wish to comment on someone else's suggestion, please do it only by replying to their original comment. (Use the "reply" button that appears when your cursor hovers over it.)
The reason for the comment restrictions is to keep this page manageable. Comments will get out of control during the week if we don't have a few limitations. I will be monitoring the page and deleting extraneous comments as needed to keep things organized.
Just as before, we will use brackets to determine the each team's name. We will have a bracket of 8 names for each team. It's important you use the "heart" button on the names you like so I know which ones you guys most want to see included in the brackets.
You may NOT nominate a nickname if it is or has been used by:
- any current or past IceHL team;
- any current or past NHL team or any WHA team;
- any current AHL, ECHL, NFL, MLB or NBA team;
- or any European hockey or KHL team.
A quick Google search goes a long way. Make sure your idea is not already in use elsewhere.
In addition, names that are vulgar, make any direct pop culture references or serve only to be silly will be removed. Repetitive distractions may get you blocked from posting future comments anywhere on the website. If you're not here to help improve the league, your participation is not necessary.
I will also remove any other name nominations that are deemed to be unacceptable.
Submissions end June 25
One last note to bear in mind. Don't try so hard to find a name that "means something." In the past, some people have tried so hard to do that, they lose perspective on the fact that we're branding a hockey team. It should be something fans would want to scream at a game.
And most important... BE CREATIVE!