- The NHL expands for the first time since 2000, adding the Vegas Golden Knights.
- The Edmonton Oilers adjust their colors to a darker blue and brighter orange.
- The NHL debuts two new events that stage games overseas. The NHL China Games will see the Kings and Canucks in Shanghai and Beijing for a pair of preseason games while the NHL Global Series will has the Avalanche and Senators meeting in Stockholm for two regular season match-ups in November.
- To mark the league's 100th birthday, the NHL100 Classic brings the Senators and Canadiens together in Canada's capital for a special outdoor regular season game in December.
- On New Year's Day, the Sabres and Rangers face off in the 10th NHL Winter Classic at Citi Field in New York. Sabres are designated home team due to Rangers' agreement with the state.
- In late January, Tampa hosts NHL All-Star Weekend for the second time since 1999.
- The NHL Stadium Series continues for the fifth year as the Capitals and Maple Leafs meet outdoors at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland in March.
- The NHL continues its 100th anniversary celebration with players wearing patches on their sleeves through the rest of the 2017 calendar year.
- The New Jersey Devils celebrate 35 years since arriving from Colorado in 1982.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning celebrate 25 years since franchise debut in 1992.
- The Dallas Stars mark 25 years since arriving from Minnesota in 1993.
- The Carolina Hurricanes mark 20 years since arriving from Hartford in 1997.
- The Nashville Predators mark 20 years since franchise debut in 1998.
- The Dallas Stars honor Jere Lehtinen by retiring his No. 26 sweater on Nov. 24, 2017.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning honor Vincent Lecavalier by retiring his No. 4 sweater on Feb. 10, 2018.