The Arizona Coyotes will spend a little more time celebrating their history next season. The team unveiled a new third jersey that takes us back to their arrival in Phoenix in 1996. The original Kachina-style design will be worn for 14 home games during the 2018-19 season.
Clayton Keller was on hand to model the new sweater during the Coyotes' draft party tonight at Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino.
Immediate reaction on Twitter was immensely positive — probably more positive than any NHL jersey release I can remember in recent years. Arizona fans love that original look and are happy to see it return.
The team only wore the Kachina jerseys for seven seasons, adopting a more simplified design under Wayne Gretzky's leadership in 2003. The retro design resurfaced after 12 years in the Reebok Edge style in 2014-15 — the same season the franchise changed its name from Phoenix Coyotes to Arizona Coyotes.
A key difference is present in the newest incarnation of the old 'Yotes sweater. Phoenix is no longer present in the shoulder patch. In fact, the locator was removed from the logo entirely.
The third jersey will make its debut on the Coyotes' opening night and continue to be used throughout the season on what the team is calling Kachina Saturdays. The schedule also includes one Friday game — Black Friday, naturally. Here's the schedule.
- Saturday, Oct. 6: vs Anaheim Ducks (home opener)
- Saturday, Oct. 13: vs Buffalo Sabres
- Saturday, Oct. 27: vs Tampa Bay Lightning
- Saturday, Nov. 17: vs Boston Bruins
- Friday, Nov. 23: vs Colorado Avalanche
- Saturday, Dec. 1: vs St. Louis Blues
- Saturday, Dec. 8: vs San Jose Sharks
- Saturday, Dec. 22: vs Colorado Avalanche
- Saturday, Feb. 9: vs Dallas Stars
- Saturday, Feb. 16: vs Toronto Maple Leafs
- Saturday, March 2: vs Detroit Red Wings
- Saturday, March 9: vs Los Angeles Kings
- Saturday, March 16: vs Edmonton Oilers
- Saturday, April 6 vs Winnipeg Jets
Are you excited about this Coyotes throwback?