The sputtering engine that was the IceHL project is revving into high gear again!
It's been nearly a year since the last update, so for those unfamiliar with it, the IceHL (or Icethetics Hockey League) was created from the ground up by Icethetics readers, who made hundreds of nominations and cast thousands of votes along the way. You picked the cities, you named the teams, and you designed the logos. You're pretty awesome, actually.
This week, the long-dormant project is taking on a life of its own as a true fantasy league. Over 100 of you wanted to join, but 20 lucky readers were awarded IceHL teams to manage throughout the 2010-11 season. Because the IceHL has so many fans who will want to follow along, this fantasy league is not being kept private.
For raw stats and standings, check out the IceHL League Office at ESPN.com. For in-depth analysis from the perspective of the IceHL GMs, look no further than the Fantasy tab right here at Icethetics.info.
The return of the IceHL project means it's time for another design contest. But we're going to ease back into things as we're all a little rusty at this. So what do we need?
The IceHL needs a league identity. The NHL has its shield, the AHL has the red and blue skater and the ECHL has the speeding puck. Now the IceHL needs its own branding. And once again, we look to the awesome designers that hang out here at Icethetics.
If you have an idea and would like to submit an IceHL logo, here's what you need:
- A primary logo for the IceHL (note the uppercase "I" and "HL" and lowercase "ce")
- If your primary logo is complex, include a simplified secondary logo (optional)
- A wordmark that can work as a banner across the top of the IceHL page here at Icethetics.info
- Colors: Try to stick to the Icethetics color scheme of orange, blue and navy. But if that doesn't work for you, it's not a dealbreaker. Just be creative!
That's it. Just two or three logos and we'll call it a brand. I'll accept submissions for the next two weeks.
Submission deadline: Sunday, October 17 at 6:00 PM
Then voting will begin that Monday. Readers will be able to rate the 15 best entries will for one week. (If there are more than 15 submissions, I'll narrow it down.) Then the three highest-rated logos go head to head to determine the final winner. That winner will have the opportunity to own a team in the next IceHL fantasy league, plus another small prize if I can scrounge something up.
But before you submit your work, you should read the submission guidelines. They're important. Your work will not be considered if you violate them:
- DO NOT STEAL ARTWORK! I'm not messing around. Artwork copied or adapted from trademarked logos will disqualify you from any future Icethetics contest. Don't do it!
- Do not use a white background for your artwork. But make sure your logos include a white outline as needed.
- Submit vector art if possible. I prefer PDF files. Otherwise, your must provide high resolution JPEG or PNG files.
- Credit yourself! Include your name/pseudonym within the actual graphic itself as well as in your email. Very important. Can't use artwork that isn't attributed.
- By submitting your own original artwork to any Icethetics email address, you grant permission of its use both online and in print by Icethetics.info and myself. Your work will not be taken advantage of in any way but I have to be able to promote the project.
- Your work is your own, but if you use a watermark, it will be disqualified.
- Email your submission(s) to email@example.com.
Remember, this is for an IceHL league logo only. Assuming this all goes well, upcoming logo design contest will include divisional logos and possibly the design of an Icethetics championship trophy!
I'm also going to start accepting jersey designs for IceHL teams (with more relaxed rules and regs) so start formulating ideas. I'll post more details in the next week or two.