Over the past week, more than 10,000 votes were cast on the way to selecting names for the four IceHL franchises we are rebranding this summer. I'm thrilled to announce the winning names!
Design contest rules are at the bottom of this post.
There's a chill in the air. The Northwest Narwhals will depart Yellowknife to embark on a frigid new chapter in North Dakota. Get cozy with the Fargo Frost!
Feeling lucky? The Boardwalk may have fallen on hard times in recent years, but it's still a good bet for great branding. The league bids farewell to Philadelphia and welcomes the auspicious Atlantic City Aces!
Things are heating up. The Outlaws are getting out of Dallas, and into the barbecue capital of the world. Steaks meet skates as we introduce the sizzling Kansas City Smoke!
Dare to be bold. The time has come for the Tampa Bay Barracudas to expand on their brand with a colorful and striking new mascot. While the franchise remains in Tampa, it becomes the unflappable Florida Flamingos!
As always, the graphics above are merely meant to serve as creative inspiration. I'm not pushing any specific design elements or color palettes. That's for you to decide.
Now let's get this show on the road. Artists of all experience levels are welcome to submit their creations to represent these four franchises.
There are a few important ground rules in IceHL design contests:
- DO NOT STEAL ARTWORK. No copying or tracing of others' artwork. No clipart. No adapting existing designs. No "borrowing." Create something original and distinctive!
- Entries must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline.
- Valid entries will include at least a PRIMARY LOGO, SECONDARY LOGO and a WORDMARK.
- Please submit vector artwork (PDF) if at all possible as this will be helpful in creating graphics for the website as well as the IceHL yearbook. (I will also accept high-resolution JPG and PNG formats, but please do not save raster artwork as a PDF.)
- Include YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME as well as YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS on your artwork.
- Finally, by submitting artwork, you agree to grant Icethetics rights to use it in conjunction with all IceHL-related projects and publications.
DEADLINE: FRIDAY, AUGUST 5
You have two weeks to design and submit your work. Have fun and good luck!
During the week of August 7, we'll hold a series of polls as the community decides which logos will go on to represent these rebranded teams.
NOT A DESIGNER? YOU CAN STILL HELP!
Maybe you lack the skills and talents needed to create a logo, but you have a great idea for a design. Try putting it into words. Describe your idea in the comments and maybe it'll help one of our designers who's struggling to come up with an idea. You may not get a design credit, but you can still be part of the process!
Good luck to everyone!