A handful of NHL teams have released their third jersey schedules for the abbreviated 2013 season. I'm collecting them all here, so if you know of any others floating around, drop me a line.
The Bruins will sport their alternate sweater 7 times this season — including its season debut on Monday night.
- Mon., Jan. 21 — vs. Winnipeg Jets
- Tues., Jan. 29 — vs. New Jersey Devils
- Tues., Feb. 12 — vs. New York Rangers
- Sat., Mar. 2 — vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
- Sat., Mar. 16 — vs. Washington Capitals
- Mon., Apr. 8 — vs. Carolina Hurricanes
- Fri., Apr. 19 — vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
All third jersey nights this year are home games at TD Garden and there are no repeat opponents.
The Bruins unveiled and debuted this third jersey during the 2008-09 season. This is its fifth season in use.
Hurricanes fans will have to wait a while to see their team's third jersey again. It's not set to make its 2013 season debut for another month. But once it does, the black sweater will be used 7 times, including once on the road.
- Sat., Feb. 23 — vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
- Sat., Mar. 2 — vs. Florida Panthers
- Thurs., Mar. 7 — vs. Montreal Canadiens
- Thurs., Mar. 14 — vs. Washington Capitals
- Tues., Mar. 26 — vs. Winnipeg Jets
- Sat., Apr. 6 — vs. New York Rangers
- Sun., Apr. 21 — at Tampa Bay Lightning
The Canes' third jersey will see action against all four Southeast Division opponents this year.
The sweater was unveiled and debuted during the 2008-09 season. It's now in its fifth season of use.
The Avalanche will also wear their third jersey 7 times this season. Starting to see a pattern here? All 2013 occasions will take place at home.
- Mon., Feb. 4 — vs. Dallas Stars
- Wed., Feb. 20 — vs. St. Louis Blues
- Sun., Mar. 10 — vs. San Jose Sharks
- Sat., Mar. 16 — vs. Minnesota Wild
- Sat., Mar. 30 — vs. Nashville Predators
- Fri., Apr. 8 — vs. Calgary Flames
- Tues., Apr. 19 — vs. Edmonton Oilers
From Colorado's press release:
The Avalanche initially unveiled the third sweater to the public on Nov. 12, 2009 and wore it for the first time two nights later against the Vancouver Canucks.
The third jersey design is a collaboration of ideas from the Colorado Avalanche (including Kroenke Sports Enterprises Creative Imaging), the National Hockey League and Reebok.
The third jersey has a predominantly blue color scheme with a diagonal COLORADO type, laces at the neckline and stripes on the sleeves. Two rounds of sweater prototypes were tested and ran on ice before the final version was made.
Columbus Blue Jackets
The Blue Jackets will also wear their third jersey 7 times this season — all home games at Nationwide Arena. Here are the actual dates, as released by the club.
- Sat., Feb. 2 — vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Sun., Feb. 10 — vs. Edmonton Oilers
- Tues., Feb. 26 — vs. Dallas Stars
- Thurs., Mar. 7 — vs. Vancouver Canucks
- Tues., Mar. 19 — vs. Nashville Predators
- Sun., Apr. 7 — vs. Minnesota Wild
- Fri., Apr. 12 — vs. St. Louis Blues
The Blue Jackets introduced their third jersey on Nov. 24, 2010. This is its third season in action.
Here's more from the team's website:
The phrase "We Fight, We March!," which appears on the interior of the jersey's collar, was first introduced during the 2008-09 season to describe the Blue Jackets’ first-ever march to the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
The expression continues to represent the team's intention each year to fight and march throughout the regular season and into the playoffs. Below "We Fight, We March!," 10 stars commemorate the introduction of the jersey in the club's 10th season.
The Wild are breaking the mold, wearing their green third jersey a whopping 9 times during the 2013 season. All dates are home games.
- Sun., Jan. 20 — vs. Dallas Stars
- Wed., Jan. 30 — vs. Chicago Blackhawks
- Sat., Feb. 9 — vs. Nashville Predators
- Sun., Feb. 17 — vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Sat., Mar. 23 — vs. San Jose Sharks
- Sat., Mar. 30 — vs. Los Angeles Kings
- Tues., Apr. 9 — vs. Chicago Blackhawks
- Sun., Apr. 21 — vs. Calgary Flames
- Fri., Apr. 26 — vs. Edmonton Oilers
It's always great seeing the Wild wearing green and they'll be doing that a lot this season.
My search has only turned up third jersey schedules for these five teams. If you've come across any others, drop me a line and I'll keep adding on to this post.
New York Rangers
According to their online beat writer, this season the New York Rangers will sport their third jerseys on home dates that take place on Sunday or against an Original Six opponent. Here's a look at those 9 games:
- Wed., Jan. 23 — vs. Boston Bruins
- Sat., Jan. 26 — vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
- Sun., Feb. 10 — vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
- Sun., Feb. 17 — vs. Washington Capitals
- Tues., Feb. 19 — vs. Montreal Canadiens
- Sun., Mar. 3 — vs. Buffalo Sabres
- Sun., Mar. 24 — vs. Washington Capitals
- Wed., Apr. 10 — vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
- Sun., Apr. 21 — vs. New Jersey Devils
The above dates are based on a tweet from Jim Cerny on Tuesday morning:
@JimCerny Yes, Heritage jerseys tomorrow and for all home Original 6 games and Sunday home games RT @BR19MG10: @JimCerny 3rd jerseys tomorrow?
The Rangers' home opener was this past Sunday, but they did not wear their alternate uniforms.
Thanks to @faz8218 for tipping me off on the Rangers' tweet. If you've spotted any other third jersey schedules I've overlooked, please let me know.
More third jersey schedules! The Ottawa Senators have announced 7 dates during the 2013 season when they'll sport their heritage jersey.
- Tues., Jan. 29 — vs. Washington Capitals
- Sat., Feb. 9 — vs. Winnipeg Jets
- Tues., Feb. 19 — vs. New York Islanders
- Sat., Mar. 23 — vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
- Sat., Mar. 30 — vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
- Tues., Apr. 16 — vs. Carolina Hurricanes
- Mon., Apr. 22 — vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
The black alternate sweater made its debut last season during the Sens' 20th anniversary celebration. It replaced the black "SENS" jersey that launched in 2008.
This uniform has the distinction of being the first in NHL history designed by a fan following an online campaign to have it adopted by the team. Obviously I like retelling that story. Congrats again to Jacob Barrette!
San Jose Sharks
The San Jose Sharks will bring back the "BlackArmor" for another season, according to the team's executive VP of business operations, Malcolm Bordelon. He tweeted that the third jersey will be worn on Saturdays and Thursdays, leaving us with these 9 dates.
- Sat., Jan. 26 — vs. Colorado Avalanche
- Sun., Jan. 27 — vs. Vancouver Canucks*
- Thu., Jan. 31 — vs. Edmonton Oilers
- Sat., Feb. 2 — vs. Nashville Predators
- Sat., Feb. 9 — vs. Phoenix Coyotes
- Thu., Feb. 28 — vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Sat., Mar. 9 — vs. St. Louis Blues
- Thu., Mar. 14 — vs. Los Angeles Kings
- Thu., Mar. 28 — vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Sun., Apr. 7 — vs. Dallas Stars*
- Thu., Apr. 18 — vs. Minnesota Wild
- Sun., Apr. 21 — vs. Columbus Blue Jackets*
Here's that tweet from Bordelon:
@MMB52 Sharks will wear Black Jersey every Thurs & Sat game (except opening night ... Teal). Go Sharks!
Yeah, technically he said "every" Thursday and Saturday game, but I think it's safe to assume he meant to include "home game" in there since it's a dark jersey. Plus, if they wore it on the road, they'd go well past 9 dates and I can't imagine the NHL would be thrilled with that.
Thanks to @Puckguy14 for the tip on the schedule — and for being the guy to elicit it from Bordelon on Twitter. *UPDATE (1/26): After the Sharks hit the ice today in teal instead of black, Puckguy14 tweeted to say that the Sharks apparently changed the schedule to Thursdays and Sundays now.
The Coyotes are slated to sport their black alternate jerseys 6 times during the 2013 season — or so says the team's Senior Director of News Content. Dave Vest tweeted this morning that thirds would be worn tonight and for all other Monday home games this year.
- Mon., Jan. 28 — vs. Nashville Predators
- Mon., Feb. 4 — vs. Minnesota Wild
- Mon., Feb. 18 — vs. Calgary Flames
- Mon., Mar. 4 — vs. Anaheim Ducks
- Mon., Mar. 25 — vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Mon., Apr. 15 — vs. San Jose Sharks
Here's that tweet, by the way:
@davest4yotes #Coyotes will wear black sweaters tonight vs. Preds. They will wear black sweaters for ALL Monday home games, actually.
So far, this is the shortest of the third jersey schedules we've seen for this season.
The Capitals' white retro jersey will return late in this shortened season — but the home crowd won't get a chance to see it in person. Today, Washington announced 7 road dates for the throwback sweater. Here they are:
- Sat., Mar. 16 — at Boston Bruins
- Tues., Mar. 19 — at Pittsburgh Penguins
- Thurs., Mar. 21 — at Winnipeg Jets
- Fri., Mar. 22 — at Winnipeg Jets
- Sun., Mar. 24 — at New York Rangers
- Thurs., Apr. 18 — at Ottawa Senators
- Sat., Apr. 20 — at Montreal Canadiens
Interesting how all of the third jersey dates are clumped together. Basically, the Caps have a 4-game road trip in late March where the regular white sweaters will simply be left at home.
By the way, that road trip begins in Pittsburgh so you can't help but wonder if there's a chance of a rematch between the 2011 Winter Classic jerseys. The Penguins haven't released a third jersey schedule that I'm aware of.
Since Washington is only planning to wear their white alternates for road games — where they'd be wearing white anyway — none of their visiting opponents have to worry about carrying an extra set of dark jerseys.
The third jersey schedule fun continues today with the Ducks. Anaheim will sport their black alternates for a third season, including 9 home dates (two of which have already passed).
Take a look:
- Fri., Jan. 25 — vs. Vancouver Canucks
- Sat., Feb. 2 — vs. Los Angeles Kings
- Fri., Mar. 1 — vs. Minnesota Wild
- Fri., Mar. 8 — vs. Calgary Flames
- Fri., Mar. 22 — vs. Detroit Red Wings
- Fri., Apr. 5 — vs. Dallas Stars
- Sun., Apr. 7 — vs. Los Angeles Kings
- Mon., Apr. 8 — vs. Edmonton Oilers
- Sat., Apr. 27 — vs. Phoenix Coyotes
For what it's worth, the first two games in the thirds turned out like this: The Ducks got creamed 5-0 by the Canucks and beat the Kings 7-4 the following week. Take from that what you will.
The Ducks' third jersey was launched in 2010.